School Success Goes Hand in Hand with Being in School Every Day! Did you Know?
- Many absences, even in Kindergarten, can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing just one days or two every month can make it harder to learn to read by the third grade.
- Student with too many absences struggle to catch up, even with take-home assignments.
- Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school and themselves.
What Can You Do?
- Develop a regular bedtime and morning routine.
- Avoid missing school unless a child is truly sick and seek help is chronic illness is a challenge.
- Check with our school nurse or office staff if you are not sure about when to keep your child at home due to illness.
- If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teacher, school support staff, or other parents for advice on how to make him/her feel comfortable and excited about learning.
Types of Absences:
- Valid Excused Absence: An absence excused with approved verification (ie. doctor note, dentist note, legal note, wedding announcement, obituary, or other approved verification).
- Guardian Excused Absence: An absence excused by a parent/legal guardian without approved verification. Parents must call the office or send a note within one week of the absence. The limit is five (5) days each school year per Canyons District policy 55.35; any additional absences without approved verification will be considered unexcused.
- Unexcused Absence: Any absence without a valid excuse.
Communication Procedure for Valid Excused Absences:
- Illness or Medical Appointment: Parent provides a note from health care provider to the front office.
- Family Death, Family Emergency, Religious Holiday: Parent provides notification to the school that the students will be absent (obituary, wedding announcement, etc).
- Procedure for Education/Vacation Leave: A students may be allowed up to ten (10) days for education/vacation leave in a given school year, if prior arrangements have been made with the school for the students to make up his/her homework. Prior to education leave, parents complete an Education Leave/Vacation Form for approval. Teachers will complete the “Work to Be Completed” section a determine a reasonable due date. School administration will verify education leave.