Dear Midvalley Families,
We are living in a very unique and challenging time. Some of you may not be fully aware, but District and School Leadership has been working through the summer, on evenings, weekends, and around the clock to put together a State and District Plan in an effort to mitigate the risk, as much as possible, for the pandemic’s effect on your child’s education. Also, Midvalley’s Teacher Leaders and Parent Leaders, from our School Community Council and PTA Board, have also spent many hours this summer customizing a school site plan to the Canyons District Plan. Here is a link to our Midvalley Reopening Plan that includes the State and District Plan, too.
For latest District updates go to:
Please acquaint yourself with the information in these documents, so that you can make the best decision for your family when school starts in three weeks.
In developing these plans, we have learned there are no perfect solutions. A one-size-fits-all approach will not work for everyone. Therefore, we are very pleased that the Canyons District Leadership and School Board are providing options for you, as parents, to decide what is best for each of your students during the COVID Pandemic.
Thank you in advance for all of your patience and understanding as we head into the 2020-21 school year with all of its changes. Midvalley has an amazing community. We are finishing a brand new school and offering a new Spanish Dual Immersion Program. So many of you are willing to pitch in and be a part of the solution. I invite everyone (students, parents, teachers, support staff, and our community) more than ever to unite our efforts for the children and families of our community. We welcome the students coming from all over the valley that will call Midvalley their school! It will be a different, but exciting year!
The Skyward Online Registration window opens tomorrow, July 27th. Please read through the Online Registration Information Page for a wealth of information and links. The links on this page will answer most, if not all, of your questions.
Since the three learning options will affect our staffing, we encourage you to complete your online registration by Friday, July 31, if possible, so we will have the vital information we need to make staffing adjustments. This is one important way you can help us.
If you would like extra support, we will have computers set up in Union Middle School’s main entryway for Walk-In Registration this week from 8:00 am until 1:00 pm Monday through Friday. We will also have a evening time on Tuesday, from 3:00-7:00pm. There will be Spanish translators present to help. During online registration, you will have the opportunity to choose one of Three Learning Options for each of your students.
Some of you have emailed asking about the options for our Spanish Dual-Immersion Students. DLI will continue to be fully implemented if you choose the In-Person Instruction option. DLI will not be a part of the At-Home, District Support option. In regards to the Online Instruction for DLI, here is an excerpt from the district’s FAQ page:
Supports for SALTA and DLI students who request online instruction will be available, though, the specific supports will not be finalized until the number of SALTA and DLI students receiving online instruction is known. Students enrolling in online instruction maintain their place in these programs.
I know this won’t fully answer your questions about the online option for DLI students. My suggestion would be to make your decision based on two things:
- Your COVID comfort level based on our Midvalley risk mitigation plan balanced against
- Your desired quality of Spanish Instruction. In-person Spanish instruction will generally be more effective than online Spanish instruction.
Also, keep in mind that you will be able to shift your option decision at the end of the trimester in November. These same thoughts may also help parents who are trying to decide about sending their students to school or choose an online option.
- July 27th Skyward Online Registration Begins. Please complete online registration by Sunday, August 2nd, if possible.
- Aug 11th 6:00 pm Virtual Ribbon Cutting
- Aug 11th 6:30 pm-7:30 pm Community Reverse Parade Celebration for the New School (more coming!)
- Aug 14th Virtual/Online Meet The Teachers Open House (more info will be emailed to parents as the date approaches)
- Aug 17th First Day of School for Grades 1-5
- Aug 17th – 19th Kindergarten Assessments by appointment
- Aug 19th Parents Notified of All Day/Half Day Kindergarten by Phone
- Aug 20th First Day of School for Kindergarten
- Sep 7th Labor Day Recess – No School
- Sep 11th Picture Day
- Online Registration Information Page (This page contains many of the links below)
- Three Learning Options and FAQ page
- Skyward – Go to Family Access to complete your Online Registration
- Canyons District Calendar for 2020-21
- Canyons District Reopening Plan
If, after reading through this information, you still have questions, please feel free to call the office at 801-826-8800 or drop by our walk-in registration. You can also email me directly at email@example.com
We look forward to another AMAZING year at Midvalley Elementary!
Tamra Baker, Principal